In May, we like to talk to everyone about “Melanoma Awareness” month … because it is Melanoma Awareness month … but, also because prevention takes attention and action.
SO, LET ME GET YOUR ATTENTION:
Last May, I wrote about ultraviolet radiation (UVR) from the sun and tanning devices being listed by the Department of Health and Human Services as a known carcinogen! This means that exposure to UVRpcan lead to the development of skin cancer because UVR is a substance known to cause mutations in skin cells.
Here are some other attention-getters:
- Fact #1: The International Agency for Research on Cancer, an affiliate of the World Health Organization, includes UV tanning devices in its “Group 1,” a list of the most dangerous cancer-causing substances. Group 1 also includes agents such as plutonium, cigarettes, and UVR from the sun.
- Fact #2: Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States
- Fact #3: 1 in 5 Americans will develp skin cancer in the course of a lifetime
- Fact #4: Windows and cloudy days do NOT protect us from the sun’s UVR
- Fact #5:pFrom 1970 to 2009, the incidence of melanoma increased by 800% among young women age 18-39 and they are attributing this to the use of tanning bulbs, beds, and devices.
Now it’s time for some ACTION:
- Wear sunscreen everyday! And reapply.
Protect your children everyday too. Get a healthy habit started young.
- If you tan, stop. Check out the new bronzers that don’t turn you orange or leave you with streaks. We like Body Bronze.
Last May, I posted a blog about thepSkin Cancer Foundation‘s recommended sunscreens and clothing. The photos on this blog show you what logo to look for when you are purchasing products. The Skin Cancer Foundation has recommendations on cosmetics, moisturizers, sunglasses, even window protection and they update their list as new products are made and submitted for testing.p
We believe that knowledge is power, and action will make positive change happen!
Find out how we are are helping our patients get protected with our PRODUCT SPECIAL.