As we age, the face can change quite a bit. Sure, we still look like ourselves overall, but a loss in volume due to fat deterioration can significantly alter the general shape of the face. This shift in structure causes a lot of frustration for a lot of adults. Before turning to a facelift, many people choose to restore volume with dermal fillers. This is a fine idea. However, it is necessary to continue getting touch-ups over and over again. At Renaissance Plastic Surgery, patients might consider elevating their filler game by exploring the option of facial fat grafting.
What is Facial Fat Grafting?
You may have heard the term fat transfer used to describe certain cosmetic procedures. The Brazilian Butt Lift is an example of this technique. Facial fat grafting is on a smaller scale. In this procedure, performed using local anesthetic, fat is extracted from one area of the body to use in one or more areas of the face. After removing fat cells, the doctor processes the substance to remove all fluid, leaving only pure fat. This is placed into a syringe and injected into the subcutaneous tissue in the target area.
Facial fat grafting is commonly performed to correct the following:
- Laugh lines
- Hollow or flattened cheeks
- Thin or deflated lips
- Facial creases
Advantages of Facial Fat Grafting
There are a number of reasons to consider facial fat grafting to address the signs of aging. Patients sometimes choose to have this procedure in lieu of a facelift, or as a complement to a facelift for more pronounced contouring. Benefits of this technique include:
- Natural looking results. At first, the treated area may look over-filled. This is because it is! Also, we expect mild swelling as a side effect of injections. The reason we place a little more fat than is needed is because some of the fat gets absorbed. Once fat settles and swelling resolves, which can take about two weeks, the treatment area looks and feels completely natural.
- Body contouring. It isn’t necessary to harvest an extraordinary amount of fat to rejuvenate the face. However, since minor liposuction is involved, patients may choose to go ahead and improve the contours of the harvest site.
- No downtime. While patients may be instructed to avoid strenuous activities and excessive heat for a week or so after facial fat grafting, most are able to resume their normal day-to-day lives right away.
- Long-lasting results. This is the primary reason for considering facial fat grafting as an alternative to dermal fillers. Once the fat is integrated into the new area, it remains there indefinitely. The face remains affected by the aging process but, so long as weight is maintained, the new contours are expected to remain consistent over time.
Find out if you are a good candidate for facial fat grafting. Call our St. Peters office at 636-535-2933.